Paul Manafort, the onetime supervisor of the Trump presidential marketing campaign, retroactively reported that his consulting agency had received more than $17 million in funds from a Ukrainian political celebration with ties to the Kremlin.
And on this week’s journal, a Nixon biographer makes the case that President Trump has primarily misunderstood the F.B.I.’s position. Since Watergate, the company has come to view itself as an unbiased verify on the president.
• Syrian and Russian officers rejected an American accusation that Syria was preparing for another chemical attack. Above, President Bashar al-Assad visiting troops at a Russian air base in western Syria.
President Trump conferred by telephone with President Emmanuel Macron of France on finding a common response ought to the assault happen. Mr. Macron seized the chance to ask Mr. Trump to Paris for Bastille Day subsequent month.
• Google’s report 2.four billion euro high quality for violating European antitrust guidelines highlights the aggressive stance E.U. officials have taken in regulating most of the world’s largest know-how corporations.
Google’s authorized battle with the E.U. is way from over, however for now the main target will in all probability shift to modifications the corporate should make to adjust to the choice. Google is dealing with two separate antitrust expenses associated to Android, its cellular software program.
• It’s picnic season, and we now have recommendations on how to make yours a success. (Two easy ones, typically forgotten: Convey trash luggage and sufficient water.)
Making a get-collectively a potluck, and shifting it outdoors, immediately guarantee issues are extra reasonably priced and communal. Our meals author tagged together with a household that has perfected the artwork of the picnic in the park.
• Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany and Wilbur Ross, the American commerce secretary, stated they wanted to revive talks on a trans-Atlantic free commerce deal.
• Li Keqiang, China’s premier, affirmed his nation’s want to be seen because the world’s new leader in free trade, in a speech at a World Financial Discussion board convention in Dalian, China.
• Nestlé stated it was prepared to spend billions of dollars on inventory buybacks and acquisitions. Here’s a short history of the Swiss conglomerate, which sells greater than 2,000 manufacturers all over the world.
• Right here’s a snapshot of global markets.
• Rogue police forces in Venezuela attacked the Supreme Courtroom, dropping grenades from a helicopter, officers stated. [The New York Times]
• Few particulars have emerged within the car bombing in Kiev yesterday that killed a colonel in Ukraine’s army intelligence. [Kyiv Post]
• The difficulty of similar-intercourse marriage moved to the middle of Germany’s nationwide election marketing campaign. Martin Schulz, the left-wing candidate, demanded a parliamentary vote this week. [The New York Times]
• In the meantime, the Chaos Pc Membership, a Hamburg collective, is engaged on hacker-proofing the German election within the fall. [Bloomberg Businessweek]
• A courtroom within the Netherlands dominated that the Dutch authorities was partly chargeable for the bloodbath of about 350 Muslim males within the Bosnian city of Srebrenica in 1995. [The New York Times]
• Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, postponed plans for a second independence referendum after her social gathering’s setback in Britain’s common election. [The Scotsman]
• In Britain, the authorities recognized extra buildings with flammable facades, or cladding, just like what was used on the London highrise that caught hearth this month. The authorities in Germany evacuated a constructing with comparable cladding. [The New York Times]
Ideas, each new and previous, for a extra fulfilling life.
• What potential college college students do on-line might have consequences in actual life.
• Ransomware is within the information. Right here’s how to protect yourself.
• Recipe of the day: Somali-style rice, flavored by wealthy inventory and an fragrant spice combination.
• Our photographer visited the charred countryside of Portugal, the place survivors of the nation’s worst wildfire in many years confronted anger and grief.
• FIFA published an investigator’s top-secret report into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which was extensively reported to have been tainted by corruption.
• Our Interpreter columnist explains why right-wing populism has not upended politics in Canada. (There’s no point out of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s footwear, however our trend staff explored his sock diplomacy.)
• In memoriam: Michael Nyqvist, the Swedish actor maybe greatest recognized for the “Dragon Tattoo” trilogy, died at 56. And Alain Senderens, a founding father of nouvelle delicacies, died at 77.
Immediately is the forty eighth anniversary of the riots on the Stonewall Inn in New York Metropolis, a watershed second in L.G.B.T. historical past.
The protests towards a police raid helped impress the motion for homosexual rights. Former President Barack Obama made the bar an official U.S. monument final yr, however Stonewall was already well-known across the globe.
The identify has come to be synonymous with homosexual satisfaction. Amongst these invoking it: The Stonewall Hotel in Sydney, Australia, which isn’t truly a lodge, however a 3-flooring bar and membership.
There’s additionally Stonewall in Britain, a charity that fights for the rights of lesbian, homosexual, bisexual and transgender people. Stonewall Japan says it has 2,000 members. Stonewall Javeriano, a scholar group in Colombia, has attracted attention outside the country for its existence at a Catholic college.
Within the U.S., Stonewall is the identify of a museum and archive in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., as a result of the riots “gave visibility to a group that had beforehand confronted a life within the shadows,” its government director stated.
And to ensure future generations study its historical past, there’s a brand new effort to report the oral histories of those that took half within the 1969 rebellion, announced this month, with funding from Google.org.
Karen Zraick contributed reporting.
This briefing was ready for the European morning. We even have briefings timed for the Australian, Asian and American mornings. You’ll be able to join these and different Occasions newsletters here.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue reading the main story
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Sign me up for the newsletter!
The content is the property of the Roznama Urdu and without permission of the publisher will be considered copyright infringement..