Immigration, on the rise once more, took middle stage, and mainstream events promised a harder stance.
Our bureau chief followed campaigning in Como, close to the Swiss border. The middle-proper candidate who referred to as for the removing of financial migrants won.
• President Trump’s refusal to acknowledge Russia’s cyberattacks final yr has dismayed fellow Republicans. Some warn that little has been carried out to safeguard upcoming elections towards intrusions.
Washington will spend the week gripped in debate over Senate Republicans’ health care bill, which might undo a lot of President Barack Obama’s Reasonably priced Care Act.
• Saudi Arabian safety forces thwarted a militant plot in Mecca. A bomber blew himself up, wounding a number of individuals.
American commando raids towards the Islamic State typically goal midlevel militants who can present intelligence on the group’s management. Right here’s a rare account of one such raid.
In the meantime, U.S. officials said they didn’t know whether or not Russia had killed the group’s greatest-recognized chief, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
• In Turkey, the federal government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, above, has taken the “controversial” concept of evolution out of its highschool curriculum.
“The final crumbs of secular scientific schooling have been eliminated,” the chief of a academics’ union stated in criticizing the transfer.
Individually, riot police in Istanbul blocked a gay pride parade that was as soon as a beacon of L.G.B.T.Q. celebrations within the area.
Be a part of the celebrations — and mirror on the vary of rights — in Dublin, Shanghai, Kiev and different cities throughout June Satisfaction festivities.
By THE NEW YORK TIMES on Publish Date June 25, 2017. Photograph by Nelson Antoine/Related Press. Know-how by Samsung.. Watch in Times Video »
• June satisfaction festivities have been held the world over over the weekend. In our latest daily 360 video, be a part of the celebrations in Eire, Ukraine and China.
Two years in the past in the present day, the U.S. Supreme Courtroom made similar-intercourse marriage a nationwide proper. We asked gay couples what the ruling meant to them.
In New York Metropolis, homosexual bars are facing an identity crisis as extra straight individuals be a part of the clientele. Some regulars opposed the development, however we talked to at least one bar proprietor who welcomed it: “We will’t reverse-discriminate and say: ‘You’re straight. You possibly can’t are available right here.’”
• With sudden velocity, European officers authorised a plan to make use of Italian taxpayer cash to protect depositors in two faltering banks in Italy.
• Third Level, a hedge fund run by the activist investor Daniel Loeb, took a $3.5 billion stake in Nestlé, the Swiss conglomerate, and demanded a shake-up.
• An impending commerce deal between the European Union and Japan, encompassing 1 / 4 of the world’s financial system, would affirm commitments to the Paris local weather accord.
• Right here’s a snapshot of global markets.
• After an oil tanker overturned in Pakistan, individuals rushed to gather the gushing gasoline. Then the tanker exploded. No less than one hundred fifty individuals have been killed. [The New York Times]
• Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s prime minister, backed down on a plan to create area for women and men to wish collectively on the Western Wall in Jerusalem. [The New York Times]
• In Angola, the president’s household, which incorporates Africa’s first feminine billionaire, has amassed extraordinary wealth in a development growth because the finish of the civil conflict. [The New York Times]
• In Tunisia, a drive to root out corruption has proven shocking vigor. [The New York Times]
• Tens of hundreds of demonstrators in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands demanded the closure of two Belgian nuclear reactors. [Deutsche Welle]
• In Northern Eire, a responsible plea by a Protestant paramilitary chief might expose previous collusion between loyalist terrorists and the British police. [The New York Times]
• Exit polls in Albania steered that the governing Socialist Social gathering gained in parliamentary elections. [Reuters]
• In Bosnia, scholar protests are difficult ethnic segregation in faculties. [RFE/RL]
• We’re introducing a weekly Smarter Dwelling publication to ship ideas for a greater, extra fulfilling life straight to your inbox. Sign up here, and compensate for our latest advice here.
• Recipe of the day: Inexperienced goddess dressing makes a zippy marinade for roast chicken.
• Sports activities roundup: Germany and Chile advanced to the Confederations Cup semifinals. The Method One rivals Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel clashed bitterly. And Petra Kvitova won her first tennis title since a knife assault.
• Restaurant fare in Dubrovnik, Croatia, is not mediocre. The historic metropolis is overflowing with great dining options.
• Martha, a Neapolitan mastiff, won the annual distinction of “World’s Ugliest Canine.” One individual described her as “so ugly she’s lovely.”
• Subsequent month, the Rencontres d’Arles images pageant in southern France will be the first to showcase the work of Audrey Tautou, the actress.
A sure boy wizard was launched to the world 20 years in the past at present, when “Harry Potter and the Thinker’s Stone” was revealed in Britain.
The ebook, about Harry and different college students at Hogwarts Faculty of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was an immediate hit that simply stored rising in reputation. The magic impressed actual-world Quidditch teams, guide golf equipment, theme parks and a multibillion-greenback movie franchise.
J. Okay. Rowling wrote “Thinker’s Stone” within the cafes of Edinburgh, and the hometown paper, The Scotsman, praised her as “a first-rate writer for children.”
(The J. stands for Joanne — Jo to her associates — and the Okay. for Kathleen, her grandmother’s identify. Her publisher was worried that a guide by an clearly feminine writer wouldn’t attraction to boys. And her surname is pronounced like “bowling.”)
A yr later, the ebook arrived within the U.S. with a tweak to its title: “Thinker’s” turned “Sorcerer’s” to more clearly convey that it was about magic.
It was a New York Occasions greatest vendor for weeks earlier than a review on Feb. 14, 1999, referred to as it “an exquisite first novel” by an writer who had achieved “one thing fairly particular.”
As Albus Dumbledore, considered one of her characters, as soon as stated, phrases are “our most inexhaustible supply of magic.”
Chris Stanford contributed reporting.
This briefing was ready for the European morning. We even have briefings timed for the Australian, Asian and American mornings. You possibly can join these and different Occasions newsletters here.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue reading the main story
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Sign me up for the newsletter!
The content is the property of the Roznama Urdu and without permission of the publisher will be considered copyright infringement..