The assertion comes hours after the North stated it had freed him on “humanitarian grounds.”
Dennis Rodman, the ex-N.B.A. star who’s presently in North Korea, introduced a replica of President Trump’s ebook “The Artwork of the Deal” as a present for the nation’s chief, Kim Jong-un, The Associated Press reported.
• In Washington, President Trump taunted federal investigators for making up a “phony collusion with the Russians story” amid new reports that Robert Mueller, the particular counsel, is wanting into whether or not Mr. Trump tried to impede justice within the case.
And new details emerged about James Hodgkinson, the person who police say opened hearth on a crowd of congressional Republicans at a baseball follow.
President Trump called for unity after the capturing, the latest example in a grim trend.
• On this dispatch from Tehran, a New York Occasions reporter handed commandos armed with Kalashnikovs as he entered the gold-domed mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
The shrine was attacked final week by Islamic State fighters — the primary profitable assault in Iran by the fear group. No one needed to confess it, he discovered, however issues had modified.
• Within the waterlogged Netherlands, the Dutch don’t see local weather change as a hypothetical and even as a drag on the financial system. As an alternative, it’s a chance, and they have advice for these dealing with rising seas all over the world.
Above, Dutch youngsters working towards to swim with garments on.
• Australia’s prime minister was caught impersonating President Trump in a leaked recording — and he appeared to be having fun with it. “We’re profitable a lot. We’re profitable like we’ve by no means gained earlier than,” he stated in a parody of Mr. Trump’s bluster.
• The oil conundrum. What to make of the current volatility and the way forward for an business experiencing its deepest downturn since at the least the Nineteen Nineties.
• Data launched days after the chairman of Anbang Insurance coverage Group was detained by the police in China present gross sales of insurance policies and investment products virtually stopped in April.
• The Fed undershot its goal for inflation but once more, a transfer that our senior economics correspondent suggests could define the tenure of its chief, Janet Yellen.
• “Truthful and Balanced” no extra. Fox News has replaced its longtime motto with “Most Watched, Most Trusted.”
• No extra soy “milk.” The European Court of Justice ruled that the time period might be used just for dairy merchandise bought within the E.U.
• And our technology columnist makes the case that solely clients can maintain Uber accountable because it tries to restore its picture.
• U.S. shares were weak. Right here’s a snapshot of global markets.
Footage from British tv and social media exhibits flames leaping into the air after the constructing caught hearth early Wednesday.
By ELSA BUTLER and ROBIN LINDSAY on Publish Date June 14, 2017. Photograph by Daniel Leal-Olivas/Agence France-Presse — Getty Pictures. Watch in Times Video »
• Prime Minister Theresa Might ordered an inquiry into the hearth at a London condo tower because the dying toll rose to 17 and considerations intensified over hearth security and development supplies in excessive-rise buildings. [The New York Times]
• U.S.-led airstrikes have killed a whole lot of civilians within the Islamic State’s stronghold in Syria, a U.N. panel stated. [The New York Times]
• Almost 86 % of the plastic particles operating by way of rivers to the world’s oceans comes from Asia, based on a brand new research. [Quartz]
• A Texas lady who was raped in India by her Uber driver is suing the corporate and three present and former executives. [The New York Times]
• India’s authorities stated it will revise new rules on the slaughter of livestock after costs that the restrictions would violate spiritual freedom.
• “Think about,” John Lennon’s 1971 ballad for a utopian future is getting a co-author: Lennon’s widow and collaborator, Yoko Ono. [The New York Times]
• Recipe of the day: Reap the benefits of the outside and grill up some hen for a Caesar salad.
• Offhand feedback (good and dangerous) can have a remarkable shelf life. Use them correctly.
• Need extra Smarter Dwelling? Sign up for the weekly newsletter here.
• Ladies, interrupted. An Uber board member’s declare that feminine administrators speak an excessive amount of and the chopping in need of a congresswoman at a Senate listening to illustrate an experience that academic studies confirm.
• On the market: a $7 million Wild West city. In today’s 360 video, step inside an amusement park, because the household that has owned it for forty three years ponders its future.
• And a migrant disaster Catch-22. Our assessment of Mediterranean rescues since 2014 exhibits that migrants have been saved ever closer to the Libyan coast. Critics say this launched a lethal incentive for extra boats to depart.
As we speak is Bloomsday, a big day on the literary calendar.
James Joyce, the groundbreaking Irish novelist, above, chose to immortalize June 16, 1904, in his novel “Ulysses” as a result of it was the date of his first outing together with his future spouse, Nora Barnacle.
The day is known as after Leopold Bloom, the book’s unfortunate primary character who embarks on a daylong picaresque voyage by way of Dublin, Joyce’s hometown. Greater than a century later, Bloom’s “odyssey” is widely known around the globe with readings, re-enactments and, in some instances, heavy consuming.
“Ulysses,” for all its inventive accolades, is not any straightforward summer time learn. A review when it was revealed in 1922 in contrast the prose to the “productions of the Ouija board.”
However assistance is a faucet away.
There are now apps, together with one which makes use of a contact display to untangle the ebook’s robust sentences, and a podcast with hundreds of episodes breaking down its arcane composition. A gaggle of Boston School college students is creating a “Ulysses” virtual reality game — Joycestick.
“If it’s so exhausting to learn,” Robert Berry, the illustrator, once said, “why are individuals having a lot enjoyable with it?”
At present is the day to seek out out. Have a fantastic Bloomsday.
This briefing was ready for the Asian morning. We even have briefings timed for the Australian, European and American mornings. You possibly can join these and different Occasions newsletters here.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue reading the main story
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Sign me up for the newsletter!
The content is the property of the Roznama Urdu and without permission of the publisher will be considered copyright infringement..