Mr. Kelly, a retired 4-star Marine common who presided over Mr. Trump’s crackdown on unlawful immigration, must now instill order on a staff whose infighting has grown poisonous.
Mr. Trump insisted in a tweet that, regardless of appearances, there was no chaos in his administration.
• Syrian youngsters born and raised underneath the Islamic State have skilled and witnessed astonishing brutality. These freed are struggling to leave the trauma behind.
At makeshift camps past the management of ISIS, small boys sporting black bandannas nonetheless play at being ISIS fighters.
“You don’t see youngsters dwelling their regular age,” one observer stated. “You see grown-up males.”
• Our team in Australia looks at a how a viral video of garden bowlers doing a Beyoncé dance, above, has drawn consideration to their plight: They could be dropping their bowling lanes to Melbourne’s scorching actual property market.
• And most vacationers to Hong Kong rush to fancy eating places and outlets, however the extra adventurous varieties be a part of information Alla Lau on a subversive tour of the town’s much less glamorous underbelly.
Ms. Lau educates guests about her native metropolis’s unpaid domestic workers, freewheeling street vendors and raucous politics.
• American corporations lengthy saved cash by hiring individuals in faraway cubicle farms in India or different nations. Some of those jobs are being outsourced again — in the USA. Above, People coaching in Colorado.
• Discovery will buy Scripps Networks Interactive, the proprietor of Meals Community and HGTV, for $eleven.9 billion. The deal comes amid broad consolidation within the media and telecommunications industries.
• Air journey hassle: A federal courtroom directed American aviation regulators to deal with what a decide referred to as “the Case of the Incredible Shrinking Airline Seat.”
And an airport attendant in France was caught on cellphone cameras punching a passenger who was holding a child.
• HSBC will buy back up to $2 billion more in shares. The London-based mostly financial institution, which generates a lot of its revenue in Asia, has introduced $5.5 billion in share repurchases since final yr as its prospects have improved.
• Apple’s earnings report on Tuesday is amongst the top business headlines to watch this week.
• Right here’s a snapshot of global markets.
• In Afghanistan, the Islamic State claimed a suicide assault on the Iraqi Embassy in Kabul, at the least the third coordinated assault within the Afghan capital in current weeks. [The New York Times]
• Taiwan was battered by two storms inside 24 hours — Hurricane Nesat adopted by Tropical Storm Haitang — leaving greater than one hundred individuals trapped by floodwaters. Each storms weakened heading into China, however Nesat pressured the evacuation of greater than 70,000 individuals in Fujian Province. [The New York Times]
• The police in Indonesia detained greater than one hundred fifty Chinese language nationals accused of bilking about $450 million from rich Chinese language embroiled in authorized issues with false guarantees to cease the instances. [Reuters]
• Angelina Jolie and Rithy Panh, the Cambodian filmmaker, denied accusations of moral misconduct about how they forged the lead baby actress for an upcoming movie, “First They Killed My Father.” [The Phnom Penh Post]
• Paris will play host to the 2024 Summer time Olympics in an settlement that may give Los Angeles the 2028 Video games. [The New York Times]
• Sho Kimura acquired a hero’s welcome in Japan after a shocking upset win over Zou Shiming of China for the world flyweight championship. Kimura is one in every of eleven Japanese boxers to at present maintain a world title. [South China Morning Post]
Ideas, each new and previous, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Recipe of the day: In case your corn appears good, sauté some kernels with greens, bacon and scallions.
• Your summer time reading list.
• Need to drink nicely whereas touring? Apps and Instagram may help — however so can local servers, bartenders and retailers.
• In memoriam: Sam Shepard, the avant-garde American playwright and Oscar-nominated actor, at seventy three; and Jeanne Moreau, the sensual, gravel-voiced actress of the French New Wave, at 89.
• India’s favourite designer, Anita Dongre, hit an astounding degree of visibility after the Duchess of Cambridge wore one of her designs. Our trend group appears at why the West took so lengthy to catch on.
• On the newest “Recreation of Thrones,” Cersei and her schemes have been central. Here’s our recap. (Need extra? Sign up for our weekly email newsletter.)
The Six Flags amusement park chain now has 20 properties throughout North America, nevertheless it all started on today in 1961 when Six Flags Over Texas opened its doorways.
The park, a harbinger of a development that has swept a lot of the world, included quite a lot of milestones: The log flume, a water experience now ubiquitous at theme parks, made its debut there in 1963. The park was additionally the primary to function a mine practice curler coaster (full with underwater tunnel) in 1966.
Theme park improvements have since climbed ever-larger heights.
Metal curler coasters with a number of inversions — by which riders are turned the wrong way up — discovered favor within the ’70s. The Corkscrew at Cedar Point theme park outdoors Cleveland was the primary to function three such loops.
The ’90s introduced inverted coasters like Batman: The Ride, through which passengers are seated beneath the monitor with their ft dangling.
The flip of the century brought on height with giga coasters like Millennium Force at Cedar Level, though the previous decade has seen a return to picket coasters.
three-D glasses and pc simulations have turn out to be a staple at Common’s theme parks, and a motorcycle-fashion car was engineered for a ride at Disney’s park in Shanghai.
What is going to the subsequent decade of rides convey? We’ll have our palms up in anticipation.
Mekado Murphy contributed reporting.
We have now briefings timed for the Australian, European and American mornings. You possibly can join these and different Occasions newsletters here.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue reading the main story
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Sign me up for the newsletter!
The content is the property of the Roznama Urdu and without permission of the publisher will be considered copyright infringement..